Sunday, October 9, 2011

First New Post: Greg Valentine dances with Barb Wire! BJW 7/6/95

Was browsing DVDVR earlier today, and found a youtube link to this gem: Kendo Nagasaki vs Greg Valentine in a No Ropes Barb Wire Match!  I must learn why this happened, but first, time to watch:


Valentine's t-shirt is tucked into his blue jeans, I'm sure there's a strategy to that, I also think it's a button up so he's keeping it classy. I think I might be the biggest fan on Earth of Greg's 1991 WWF face run and his 1992 tag team with Terry Taylor in WCW, so I'm pretty pumped.

Here's a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vHIFdPKUU

There's a few things I like here. Valentine starts by working over the arm, I assume to avoid and huge Irish whips into the wire. It doesn't last long, and it's never really brought up later in the match, but the thought is enough for me. He also gains the advantage anytime the action moves back into the ring from the floor, pair that with him waiting as long as possible to go into the wire, and it feels like Greg has a better knowledge of the ring, how to move around it, and how to avoid the the vile weapon strung up all around him. 

Kendo is good firing up towards the end and they have a nice back and forth slug-fest as the match nears its end. He does take a lot of the match when it's on the floor, introducing Valentine to the press table and a series of chairs, this is his domain! But, as noted, once the action moves back in, Valentine shines. They even work in a piledriver -> backdrop -> sunset flip spot where Kendo gets a near fall, which I found amusing in a deathmatch. The fans react for both figure four attempts so they are so on the Valentine train, but he eventually falls to a piledriver on a chair, as Kendo finally brings his tools, the kind of brawl he's comfortable with, into the match and uses it to win. Surprised the barb-wire didn't come into the finish, but they used it enough for it to mean something, and it served as a great divide between each wrestler's comfort zone.

Or I am really reaching :) still a fun match!

No comments:

Post a Comment